Electric bikes offer you many advantages as a commuter. They are fast, flexible, easy to ride and, above all, environmentally friendly. However, many people do not opt for e-bikes because they believe they cannot use them all year round.
Especially when it rains, some commuters are sceptical about using e-bikes. Around the middle of the year, when the clouds don't hold back in Germany. But that shouldn't be a problem.
If you want to buy an e-bike and are considering rainy seasons, you should opt for a rain e-bike. Here's everything you need to know about rain e-bikes, including recommendations on the best ones to buy.
What are rain e-bikes?
As the name suggests, rain e-bikes are e-bikes that allow you to ride safely in the rain. No e-bike is particularly labelled as a "rain e-bike", but you will know e-bikes that work best in wet weather because of their design.
You can generally ride your e-bike in the rain without any problems. If you do it regularly or for a long period, problems occur because water can damage some parts of the e-bike.
Take the e-bike battery and motor, for example. These are parts that go bad when exposed to moisture frequently. But a rain e-bike offers some protection for these parts.
Note that rain e-bikes are not waterproof. They cannot completely prevent water from entering the bike's components - no e-bike can.
Rain e-bikes are not waterproof; they are water resistant. It is similar to how your phones and other devices are water resistant. They can withstand light and, in some cases, heavy but infrequent exposure to water.
However, if you leave these devices underwater for a long time, they will deteriorate. It is the same with rain e-bikes. You can ride them in the rain but don't overdo it.
They could develop problems if you leave them in the rain for a long time.
A good quality rain e-bike is less likely to develop problems. For this reason, you need to consider only the best options when you need a rain e-bike. Let's find out what those options are.
Best rain e-bikes to buy
At Eskute, we produce high-quality rain e-bikes with IP5 waterproof rating. While riding an e-bike regularly in the rain is not our recommendation, here are the best options if you need a rain e-bike:
1. Netuno Pro Electric Mountain Bike
The Netuno Pro Electric Mountain Bike is a high-quality e-bike that you can buy for under £2,000. It is designed for commuting in rough terrain and has robust parts that can withstand moisture.
Water dripping down your face and arms while pedalling can be uncomfortable. Fortunately, riding the Netuno Pro Electric Mountain Bike does not require much effort.
The bike has a 250W Bafang M410 mid-drive motor, providing extra power and less pedalling. It has 80Nm of torque and can reach a top speed of 15.5 miles per hour.
In addition, the Netuno Pro Electric Mountain Bike has a robust and durable battery. The battery's 522 Wh capacity can last up to 80 miles on a full charge.
And it's detachable, so you can take it off the bike in heavy rain to protect it.
2. Polluno Pro Commuter Electric Bike
If you need a rain e-bike for easy commuting, consider the Polluno Pro Commuter Electric Bike. It's still under £2,000, like the Netuno Pro Electric Mountain Bike.
But the Polluno Pro Commuter Electric Bike is different because it has a 250 W Bafang M200 mid-drive with 65 Nm of torque. You can ride it at a limited speed of 15.5 miles per hour, and Pedal Assist is for comfort.
Pedal Assist is equipped with a torque sensor, a speed sensor and an intelligent drive management system.
Focus on the Smart Drive Management System: it optimises pedalling power and ensures that the bike gets enough power for a stable ride.
The Smart Drive Management System is helpful when riding in the rain. It ensures that your ride remains smooth and natural regardless of the wet road.
3. Wayfarer electric bike
You may need a more affordable rain e-bike. Then the Wayfarer Electric Bike is a good buy. The 28-inch e-bike costs just around £1,500 . It is a simple e-bike that you will enjoy commuting on urban roads, whether it is raining or not.
The Wayfarer Electric Bike uses a 250 W brushless hub motor. Since it is a brushless motor, it works on any terrain.
In addition, the bike uses a 36 V 10 AH lithium-ion battery that lasts up to 40 miles on a full charge.
On rainy days, you can ride one of our best rain e-bikes. They glide effortlessly through puddles. Notably, they have aluminium alloy frames and stems that are not only robust but also corrosion-resistant.
So they won't rust or lose their shine when exposed to moisture.
But you should not ride them in heavy rain. Not because the parts of the bike cannot withstand the rain, but mainly for your own safety. Let's discuss this next.
Is an e-bike safe in the rain?
Riding an e-bike in the rain can be safe for the vehicle. Safe in the sense that the e-bike parts will not be damaged. Meanwhile, it can be unsafe for you because water and electricity are enemies.
Water is an excellent conductor of electricity. So electric shock is possible if a part of your e-bike that uses electricity gets wet due to rain. However, this depends on the e-bike.
A high-quality e-bike comes with well-arranged components to ensure rider safety.
Therefore, the likelihood of an electrical component being damaged or coming into contact with moisture is minimal. You will probably never experience an electric shock with such e-bikes.
On the other hand, there are unsafe e-bikes with improper designs. Such e-bikes can easily expose sensitive components that carry electricity.
This again underlines the need to choose only the best rain e-bikes, like our Eskute e-bikes, which are IP5 waterproof.
Nevertheless, even with the best e-bikes, caution is always advised when riding in the rain. So let's take a look at some safety tips to keep in mind.
Safety tips for riding an e-bike in the rain
If you have to ride your e-bike in the rain, here are tips to help you stay safe:
- Make yourself weatherproof: You and your e-bike ride in the rain, not just your e-bike. Rain can make riding difficult for you. In particular, wet hands or shoes or poor forward visibility can cause you to mishandle the e-bike.
- As a result, you need to take precautions against the weather. Consider getting weatherproof gloves and shoes to protect your hands and feet.
- A cycling cap and waterproof glasses will also go a long way to improving your visibility in the rain.
- Use lights: When riding your e-bike in the rain, make sure your front lights are on. It is important to avoid accidents regardless of whether your vision is clear.
- Your vision may be clear, but what about others? The car or bus driver who is on the same lap as you? They ride behind windscreens, thus have less visibility and can easily miss your e-bike.
- Not to mention that e-bikes are relatively small compared to cars and buses. If your front light is on, others will know you are approaching.
- You don't need to buy extra lights. Our best rain e-bikes listed earlier have front lights that shine brightly enough.
- Apply lower pressure: You should not ride too fast in the rain. Because of the wet ground, there is less friction and high-pressure results in a looser grip.
- On the other hand, the e-bike tyres have a stronger grip when you reduce the pressure. Also, make an effort to brake earlier, as the tyres need more time to come to a stop.
- Do not ride in heavy rain: Even if you have the best e-bike, do not ride in heavy rain. You will not be able to handle the bike safely in such a situation and cannot see the road clearly. Even car drivers lose control of their vehicles in heavy rain.
- Dry your e-bike afterwards: After riding in the rain, make sure you dry your vehicle.
- If it is still raining, wipe the e-bike with a dry cloth and store it in a safe place. As soon as the sun shines, bring the e-bike out to dry.
With a rain e-bike, you can commute in wet weather without any problems. But you just have to go for the best ones, as not all e-bikes perform well in the rain.
Also, for your own safety, let caution prevail while riding. And if the rain is too heavy, turn off the e-bike.
An Eskute electric bike is specially designed to perform in even the harshest conditions. Wait no longer; get yours today!